5.11.07

Then i froze....

CLICK TO PLAY




... and a flow of questions invaded my head :

" why am i doing this ? do i have to go through all of this ? isn't this too much ? what's the limit ? is there one ? am i strong enough... physically ? mentally ? "

an hour later, i made the call :
- Mother, i'm not going to China, i'm calling to give you my resignation as the leader of the team.
- Excuse me ? are you out of your mind ?
- No, i'm actually very serious... here i am rushing to airports, missing flights, waiting for extremly long hours in airports trying to make it somewhere, when i don't necessarily have to !
- So it's all about you !! You're the only responsible for the flights you missed !!!! and now you're complaining because things are getting complicated ? because you have to wait ? because you fell a bit of pressure ? You're so spoiled, i almost regret hiring you... i knew things like this were going to happen but on the first assignment ? wow !

( silence... then she puts me on speakerphone, because she supposedly "needs to be typing an email")

- It's absolutely not about me, it's about David who's been working for you for more than 5 years now, who has so much more experience than me, who's been my assistant for the past 2 weeks when he has everything to be the best leader on this project ! It's about not accepting responsibilities just because they're handed and and because the pay is nice ! It's about auto-evaluation, knowing my skills, and not stepping over people just because i'm the boss' son ! It's about realizing that i accepted the job for the symbolic reason of successfully realizing my first assignment on a new job... when in reality i'm not ready for it ! It's about humility and realism. I'm tired ! Mom, i'm just 21.... i can't be doing all of this already, tryin to kill myself everyday at the other end of the world... sleeping 3 hours a night, dealing with the look on people's faces because they doubt that i have enough experience for the job...i can do that... you know me... but not 24/7 when there are other people who i can share tasks with...

( silence )
Then she chuckles.
- What's going on ?
- You had your ticket from Montreal to Paris... but we never got you a ticket to China... You never really were gonna be the leader of team.... i needed to see how fast you can prepare for a job, how committed you'd be to the project and to the deadlines, and i needed to see if you'd just sit in the comfortable manager seat without asking questions just because you're my son.
- Mom !!!!!!
- (Then David starts speaking and i realize he was the reason why i'd been put on speakerphone) I'm proud of you for not failing this test young man... it's a pleasure to work with honest and smart people. i'll talk to you later.

( silence as David leaves her office)
- As your boss, i'm proud of your decision, as your mother i'm sad though because i was excited, thinking i was going to see you in Paris for a while.
- Mom.... if you want to seee me all you have to do is say so, why do you have so much trouble expressing your feeelings ?
- (laughs) that's just me. i'm busy. i'll talk to you later "

It's amazing how pressing the red button on a cell phone can automatically give so much stress relief... it took me an hour to get over the fact that once again my mother had "tested" me. I knew accepting to work for her was accepting one of the biggest challenges but i thought it would start at work.... that was underestimating "the tigress" (as they call her).

I'm just 21... i've been working my ass off for years for one of the biggest hotel chains, never resting, constantly going around the world, always taking challenges one after the other....

Right now i need to focus on college : classes, exams, papers... and my social life : friends, birthdays, engagement parties, weddings... and sleeping, and watching tv !!!!! and chilling a little bit... having other things than deadlines and stress in my head...


... because being young only happens once and i'm offered a chance to slow down.... that's exactly what i'm gonna be doing... at least on the professional level.. (grin)


It's time to let go of all that damn stress, take care of myself, express myself and share more than random posts.... do it differently, do it the way only I can

Step into my world...

7 comments:

Ty said...

No, you step into my world. lol I take it this is your new blog.

You are right, sometimes you have to take care of self. You can run yourself ragged trying to satisfy everyone and in the end be totally void within yourself.

Soldier said...

yes, very slow transition :)

Ailed LittleKnight said...

hmmmm i like...

Motionphics said...

Nice work grasshopper!

There are tests throughout life. It is up to us to step back and analyze our lives and then make the decision that best affects our lives and interests.

Get To work on enjoying you and your life. I am looking forward to see you let go as you step into your new world.

Dapper D

fuzzy said...

I love it! Sky Finger!!!!

I commend you on stepping up to you being you! Take time for youth and experience what can be a great time! Not saying the best time in your life because that places a limit of the rest of your life! Be cool man and looking forward to seeing you again!

BTW...

You have been officially tagged! Visit "http://canuimagineme.blogspot.com/2007/11/tag-blogger-edition-what-happened-to.html" for details!

E said...

Heh...no step into my world. Glad to see you're going to slow down a bit. You're right. You're only young once.

yet another black guy said...

it doesn't matter how old or young a person is, taking time for one's self is essential to maintaining a proper balance in life. good for you recognizing it earlier than later.